Saturday, May 1, 2010

Recipe #10: 1 Steak 2 Sauces


By Jamie Oliver:

For the steak:
• 4 x 200g sirloin or rib-eye steaks (approx• 2.5cm thick)
• olive oil
• a sprig of fresh rosemary
• 1 clove of garlic, halved
For the peanut sauce:
• 100g roasted monkey nuts, shelled, skins removed
• 50g sesame seeds
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
a few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
• 1 smoked chipotle chilli, crumbled (or 1 teaspoon smoked paprika)
• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
• 100ml extra virgin olive oil
• a swig of rum
• juice of 1 lime
• 1–2 fresh green chillies, stalks removed, seeds left in
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the Mexican salsa verde:
• a small bunch of fresh coriander
• a small bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled
• 1–2 fresh red or green chillies, deseeded
• 4 large spring onions, trimmed
• 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
• juice of 1–2 limes

By Andrew Fernandez:

Recently, I have had this thing about steaks! The weather has been unusually warm in the Midwest and it has felt quite a bit of steak weather. In this recipe, the two sauces were great, however it also meant that I had to share this experience with two sauces. They were both great sauces, and could have functioned independently from each other.

I have never heard of Monkey nuts, so I just used ground nuts. I'm not a nut guy, but I think it worked out just fine. I went easy on the Rum, (if you know me well enough) and that was good! The salsa verde was slightly more labor intensive and all that chopping... was work. But it was good. However, I'm pretty sure that this salsa verde recipe was different from another one I had tried before.

No comments:

Post a Comment