Sunday, June 13, 2010

Recipe # 20: Kedgeree


By Jamie Oliver:

• 2 large free-range or organic eggs
• 680g undyed smoked haddock fillets, pinboned
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 170g long grain or basmati rice
• sea salt
• 110 pure butterghee
• a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 medium onion or 1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 heaped tablespoons curry powder
• 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
• 2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
• juice of 2 lemons
• 2 good handfuls of fresh coriander, leaves picked and chopped
• 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
• a small pot of natural yoghurt

By Andrew Fernandez:

This I have to say, sounded a little bit like "fried rice" the Malaysian way. Yes the country I grew up in. However there was no such thing as undyed smoked haddock. But guess what? Here in Kalamazoo, there is no such thing as undyed smoked haddock too! When at the store with poor cell phone data reception, you make executive decisions. Well this time around it was substituting Haddock with Salmon. Yeah, I know... it wasn't a close substitution. But nevertheless, it tasted good. in fact I can't remember tasting the fish at all. I probably could have left it out and wouldn't have noticed.

I love how Jamie called out for "curry powder". With my experience from Malaysia with different curries, it was hard to figure that one out, because curry is actually a blend of spices. Anyway, I just reached for the nearest thing that said curry. Sri Lankan curry powder it was.

I am beginning to like the use of coriander. Not just fresh but cooked. I know it sounds weird but the taste is beginning to grow on me. That just might be my next batch of recipes with targeted ingredient. Give it a try, you'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment