Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Recipe #3: Summer Chickpea Salad



By Jamie Oliver:

• 1 small red onion, peeled
• 1–2 fresh red chillies, deseeded
• 2 handfuls of ripe red or yellow tomatoes
• 2 lemons
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 x 410g jar or tin of chickpeas, drained, or around 4 large handfuls of soaked and cooked chickpeas
• a handful of fresh mint, chopped
a handful of fresh green or purple basil, finely ripped
• 200g/7oz feta cheese


By Andrew Fernandez:

I decided that I needed to host a party and get caught up with a number of dishes in order to stay on track with completing a hundred by December 31st. The brave part of this party was actually asking the guest to choose what they would like from Jamie Oliver, and I'd prepare it. This was quite the challenge of narrowing down the list and preparing a meal for a dozen blokes!

Shopping for the ingredients proved to be difficult as I am either doubling or tripling the amount to cater to the number of people. Nevertheless, D&W was always just down the street for the last forgotten or insufficiencies.

The chickpea salad turned out to be the best dish I thought in my mind. In fact I am glad that I added two additional cans of chickpeas since I was eating it before I could even prepare the salad. Just a side note... Chickpea is the England english, and Garbanzo beans is the American english.

The dish called for Feta cheese which I thought would have been better prepared without. Amazingly the fresh mint brought on a flavor that is... refreshing.

It definitely is a great summer dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment